Friday, April 16, 2010

the sin called envy

i know that i struggle with being content and appreciating where i am in life and the things i have
i realize that this is one of my struggles...and i try to pray really hard and change this about myself
it still gets me though at times
but God nicely...sometimes not so nicely...reminds me that this is not just a "bad attitude" but is a sin-called envy
today was one of those gentle reminders
i was telling my mom this story of someone i know that cared for a dying relative (an in-law) instead of placing them in a nursing home like their family suggested
this person had no motive other than caring for their family and knew that a nursing home was something this person didn't want
after the relative died, this person found out how much the care was appreciated...in the form of half a million dollars
well, my first reaction was "i don't want anyone to die, but man i could really use half a million right now"
after i told my mom this story, her first response was "that's awesome! i love when God blesses people for caring and loving people and not expecting anything in return. that is so cool."
that bit me in the butt...
i know i won't always necessarily be thankful for where God has me and my family during hard times (which seems to be right now), but i can thank Him for what He is teaching me and look back and learn from tough times
thanks mom for being the person God used to remind me to be thankful and happy for others when God blesses them

No comments:

Post a Comment