Sunday, September 27, 2009

my list of 'nevers'

today in church, i was trying my hardest to listen to the sermon, rock sophia in her carseat (praying she would stay asleep or at least not scream in church), and not be distracted by the kids across the aisle
i was slightly successful-sophia didn't scream :) and i heard most of the sermon
but i was very distracted
these kids were sprawled out on the floor (not horrible), each one had a mountain dew or root beer (24 oz mind you), cell phone to play games on (they only had one so mom had to change seats mid-service so the kids could share), and each kid got up at least once during the service
see, when i was a kid (wow, now i sound old), we were not allowed to get up and exit during service
even when i sat with my friends, i KNEW my parents were watching me and ready to spank me as soon as i got home if i got up or goofed off
and i know i shouldn't do this for fear of it all coming true, but i made a few of my own 'my daughter will nevers' right there
1-she will not drink pop (or have her own beverage until she is responsible enough to not spill it everywhere) in church
2-she will not get up during church
3-she will not be on a cell phone during church
this next one is for me...4-i will not tell my child to 'shut up' (in public at least :) ) like this mom did to her loud children
now after i have this whole thing typed up, i decided to read our small group's chapter for the week from the book 'humility-true greatness' by c. j. mahaney...and feel very bad
i shouldn't judge other families/parents because i am learning and KNOW that i will screw up and other parents will look at me and say 'my child will never do that!'
so i apologize if this is a horribly mean blog...i guess it's my true thoughts

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, wow! 24 oz Mountain Dew and cell phones in church? That sounds pretty awful to me. I would say that should probably be on a list of things *people* shouldn't do, let alone children. That's crazy.

    The only thing I would say about your list is that-- if my potty-training toddler asked to get up to pee during church (and actually succeeded once we reached the potty!) I would be beaming with pride and happiness :) So you might just mentally amend the list to allow for the unpredictable bathroom needs of the very young.
    Sophia looks like she's do so well! I hope you like your new job :)
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete